Responsive Cookie Consent is a simple and responsive extension that informs users of cookie usage on their site.
OverviewBack to top
You may not think about them very often, but if you’re based in the EU (or technically even if you target EU residents), you’re supposed to be asking for users’ consent before you let them browse your website.
Have you noticed those boxes which pop up on sites asking you to consent to cookies? They’ve become pretty common these days. I can assure you that most websites aren’t asking because they’re kind and value transparency. They’re asking because they have to…and you might have to too..
WHAT IS THE COOKIE CONSENT LAW?
Cookie consent comes from the EU Directive 2002/58/EC. The directive, which all member nations adopted, essentially tasked individual governments with setting up laws supporting cookie consent. With a few exceptions, the laws generally require you to get informed consent from users for any non-essential cookies.
Essential cookies would be things like ensuring safety during online banking. Non-essential cookies are basically anything that’s not integral to the functioning of the website. AKA all ad tracking cookies.
Technically, the law applies to any websites based in or targeting EU member states. Now, because of the difficulties of enforcement, you probably don’t need to care if you’re outside the EU. But if you’re based in the EU, you should be taking this law seriously. Though they don’t seem to be a frequent occurrence, there have been some very real fines handed out as a result of the laws.
WHAT COUNTS AS INFORMED CONSENT?
- Whether or not the cookies are essential
- What type of cookies you use
- Whether only you or third-parties can access cookie information
- That the cookie will not be used for other purposes
- How users can withdraw their consent (the easiest way is leaving your site!)
Most sites typically inform users by a simple notification bar with consent buttons and a link to more information.
Here comes "Responsive Cookie Consent" :
It helps you organise and display above information on your Magento site easily with small setup. It has below features:
- Simple and responsive extension to display the cookie consent message for cookie usage by site.
- Once user clicks on "Close" button it disappears for specified days, by default it is 31 days.
- Easily change css/text messages by referring to below guide.
- To edit text message go to System ->Configuration -> MNTS Infotech -> Cookie Consent and change the message you want in right hand side panel.
- To change css go to fileskin\frontend\base\default\css\mntsinfotech\cookieconsent.css of this extension and edit it.
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with CE: 1.6 1.6.1 18.104.22.168 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2 1.9.3
- Stability: Stable Build
uploaded to magento marketplace.