OverviewBack to top
It is typical for an online store to show high-quality images to support describing product detail information, or to decorate the pages. Unintentionally, it becomes the reason to cause slow loading speed on the store page and challenge the customer's patience. With the assistance of the extension, the store can improve the bounce rate and improve the shopping experience.
Specifically, Mageplaza Image Optimizer's primary responsibility is to compress and optimize images on the store site manually or automatically via cron scheduling. The module gives stores the flexibility to control the compressed image quality and back up the original images. Additionally, bulk compress is available to compress images faster. And, many more functions of the module are waiting for you to explore.
- Support to optimize many types of image
- Select quality for optimized - Lossless or Lossy
- Use cron to process optimization automatically
- Have the original images backed up
- Included and excluded image directories
- Apply permission to compress a file
- Allow recording, re-queuing, restoring optimized images
- Compress in mass
- Compress manually
- Support command line
Why Image Optimizer?
Speed Up Page Loading
A significant proportion of 90% of online stores is graphics-dependent. It is the reason why most store site storage contains a considerable number of images files. Therefore, if the image's size on the sites is too heavy, the loading speed will be held back.
The massive data will takes time for visitor's views, which makes them feel frustrated when shopping in your store. Users are more likely to bounce off a store site when it takes more than 3 seconds to load. It is because they try to purchase online instead of spending too much time to visit a physical store. As a result, the store should not turn this advantage to become a drawback. The optimizer tool is an essential tool to make sure images do not cause any difficulties for site performance.
According to Webmaster Blog, in 2010, Google confirmed to add in the site's loading speed to become a criterion to evaluate search ranking. Thus, the store can optimize loading speed to rank higher than other competitors.
Increase Conversion Rate
The conversion rate and traffic are the two main statistics that online owners always strive to improve. Why not using image optimizer to increase these rates? With high-quality images and fast loading speed, customers will never bounce off store sites with unreasonable reasons like having a bad shopping experience.
Enhance Customer Experience
When visitors visit the site for the first time, fast loading speed will provide excellent user experience and encourage customers to view more products and services online. The more time customers spend at your shopping site, the higher the chance you make more sales.
Minimize Bandwidth Usage & Browse Better
The downloaded bytes often occupied by images. Besides, images also take most of the visual space on the sites. When you can reduce the size of the thumbnails, the image will require less usage of bandwidth. The browsers will run faster with lighter images.
- 79% of customers claim that they only revisit store with poor performance once in a blue moon
- 64% of visitors who use smartphones expect store sites to finished loading in 4 seconds.
- 47% of users expect the webpage to load in 2 seconds.
- For an Ecommerce site that can generate $100,000/ day, it is estimated that a one-second increase in page loading speed can bring $7,000 each day.
- In contrast, with 1 second slower in page loading, stores can lose 11% of page users and 7% of conversions.
Optimize Various Image Types
The module can compress a variety of image types, which include GNP, JPG, GIF, TIF. These are admin the most used formats for images to further describe stores' items/ services and more. The performance will be improved when the site's images are all optimized. From the admin panel, images will be compressed easily with a few clicks.
Optimization Options: Lossless Or Lossy
The compression level is going to be decided by the admins. It is an exciting feature if you know how to use it properly. The module supports two Lossless compression options and Custom (Lossy). Each selection will generate different outcomes with different images of quality and file size Regarding Lossless, It is a filter that helps you to compress the image while it's quality remains. The module will help you remove metadata from the images files. However, the method can squeeze a minor amount of the image size.
With the second option, Lossy will cut down the data of the original image. A considerable proportion of the image size is going to be optimized. The trade-off is a reduction in quality. The exciting factor of this function is that you can control the quality percent. If the store prefers a slight visible loss in the image quality, the admins can adjust the compression level suitably.
The function gives the store the ability to schedule the compression regularly by running cron. Admins will no longer have to log in to the back panel each time to optimize the site's images. After the system finished the process, a notification will be sent to inform about the optimization status. Cron will activate the process by scanning and optimizing images based on admin settings.
Backup Original Images
It is possible to restore the original images whenever the users what to reuse. The automatic backup provided by Mageplaza will keep the image's original version to help the admins to scroll back if necessary. All backup files will locate in a specified image directory.
Include & Exclude Image Directories
The scanned image will be assigned to a particular directory of the store site with the help of this useful function. In detail, admins can access the backend and set to scan the image by setting the included directories or shipped to browse by setting excluded directories.
Permission To Compress A File
Admins can assign the right to optimize images with numbers. For instance, 777 means no restrictions on actions like reading, writing, and executing.
Exclude Transparent Images
During the optimization process, the transparent images will be skipped from the optimization process.
Record, Requeue & Restore
All the information like scanned paths, optimization status, optimized size, original size, an error status will be recorded for owners to keep track. Admins are also allowed to switch the optimized image status to pending or re-optimize it.
Besides the auto-run process, admins can compress the images manually by pressing the optimize button located in the Manage Images grid.
Compress In Mass
Compressing multiple photos is possible with the function to include multiple page image paths all at once.
Support Command Lines
Optimize images will become faster and more convenient with the command lines.
Full Feature List For Store Admins
- Allow turning on/ turning off the Image Optimizer extension
- Allow enabling/ disabling image backup
- Allow viewing scanned image paths
- Allow viewing status after scanning and optimizing
- Compare the optimized and the original size
- Receive the optimization percents
- Display errors message when issues occur during optimizing
- Set images with pending status
- Allow restoring original images
- Use status to view optimization progress: Pending, Skipped, Error, Success
- Activate the compression with Optimize button or Show popup for bulk compress
- Compress picture by running command line
- Choose the quality of the compressed image: Lossless or Custom
- Set the quality percent of the optimized images
- Set to skip transparent images
- Set to require file permission
- Insert included directory that scan are accessible
- Insert excluded directories that scan is not accessible
- Allow enabling/ disabling image scan
- Schedule to scan with ease
- Allow enabling/ disabling image optimization
- Schedule to scan schedule
- View page information faster
- Save time to load page
- Boost customer's shopping experience
Q: Which type of images does the image optimizer support?
A: The module support 3 most popular image type, which are PNG, JPG, and GIF.
Q: How does the module work?
A: The first process is scanning all images of the included directories. After that, the optimization will proceed for the scanned files.
Q: Can I set the optimization to run regularly following a specific schedule?
A: Yes, admins can set the schedule to run the process with the help of cron in the backend.
Q: Can I control the quality of the optimized image?
A: There are two customize options, which are Lossless or Custom. When compressing, Lossless can maintain the image quality with a slight loss in size, while custom allows admins to decide the quality percent of the compressed images. Please keep in mind that the lighter the image, worsen the image quality.
Technical SpecificationsBack to top
Magento platform compatibility
Open Source (CE): 2.3 (current)
Commerce on prem (EE): 2.3 (current), 2.2 (obsolete)
15 July, 2020
Extensions, Site Optimization, Hosting, Site Monitoring, Performance
Quality ReportBack to top
All tests were conducted on the latest versions of Magento that existed for the compatible release lines at the moment of the extension submission. Latest versions of all other software were used, as applicable.
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 2.3
- Compatible with Commerce on prem (EE) : 2.2 2.3
- Stability: Stable Build
SupportBack to top
The best place to start if you need help with a specific extension is to contact the developer. All Magento developers have both a contact email and a support email listed.Contact Vendor