OverviewBack to top
Native Magento 2 sets increment IDs by a 9-digit string starting from 000000001, which somehow reveals the number of orders placed on an online store, but it has poor information about these orders. Custom Order Number for Magento 2 by Mageplaza is developed to solve this problem.
The module can also help the admin to configure the increment IDs of related billing documents (such as invoices, shipments and credit memos) to depend on the original order ID, which makes order management easier for the admin and store owner. Some applications of changing order numbers are as following:
- A brand new online store does not want its order number to start from 0: because it will be too obvious that its products and services have been experienced by only a few buyers which give a negative impact on new customers' purchasing decision.
- Example: the first-order number can be from 111111111 instead of 000000001
- A store wants to professionalize its order numbering system: this makes it easier for the store admin to read some basic information of each order through the number while giving a better impression to buyers.
- Example: an order number can be configured to contain both characters and numbers as ORD-111-CAD-01
- A store wants to seal sensitive information: because it will be too easy to learn how many orders which have been placed and how much a store can sell by counting the default order numbers. Every store wants to hide them away from other competitors.
- A store wants to meet the local invoice numbering requirements: in some countries, the order/invoice number format has to include the company's VAT number which cannot be done without the Custom Order Number extension by Mageplaza.
- A store wants all billing documents of an order numbered the same: so it will be easier to manage.
- Example: an order which is ORD-2019-1111 can be configured to have an invoice number, shipment number and credit memo number as INV-2019-1111, SHI-2019-1111, and CRE-2019-1111 respectively.
- Easy To Customize Order Numbers
- Flexible Adjust Order Number Patterns
- Invoice IDs Depend On Order Numbers
- Compatible With Mageplaza PDF Invoice
Problems & Solutions
Change Order ID's Patterns
In Magento 2 default configuration, the increment ID is set with a very simple 9-digit string, starting from 000000001. For several reasons, online stores want to vary this string structure to make it more sophisticated. The customized string will contain a lot of useful information to shop owners but incomprehensive to competitors. An example is that the 15th order which is made on 15th June 2018 in-store 03 can be structured as ORD-03-150618-015.
Such kind of number strings have little meaning to customers and others, but it is totally understandable and useful to the store owner who creates the rule for it.
A More Professional Order Number System
Do you believe that such small things like order number can draw the attraction of visitors surfing your online shop? Yes, absolutely. Caring more about the appearance of order numbers can make online stores more professional in a very sensible way. Imagine that this is the first time a customer has visited an online store and see the order number as 000000011. The first thought in his/her mind is likely that this store’s sales is very poor and he/she will tend to quit the purchase because the store is unpopular. That is why many store owners find a way to customize their order number to attract new customers. Mageplaza Customer Order Number is the complete solution to beautify the number string to impress your buyer effectively.
Meet Local Invoice Number Requirements
Invoice numbers in some regions or countries which manage invoice system seriously are required to follow particular regulations. As a result, businesses have to establish the increment ID to comply properly with legality. In this case, their numbering system will be well facilitated by Customer Order Number. Whatever required structures of invoice number are, the store owner can set up and customize them with ease. With Customer Order Number by Mageplaza, system number regulation is no longer the concern.
When Switching Platforms
There is the problem that when an online store is a switch from a platform to Magento, the numerical systems are not similar causes some troubles. This transfer requires the admin to change increment IDs of billing documents to suit the enumeration rules of the previous platform. With Custom Order Number, the admin can set up the structures easily with proper suitability to any previous numbering requirements.
Protect Business Data
In case the store owners use raw number strings for orders, it will be very easy for customers and competitors to guess how many orders have been transacted on your site then assess your business growth, which can put your business security at risk. Therefore, the demand is that the store owners have to customize the IDs to hide these sensitive data. Custom Order Number by Mageplaza is the proper solution which helps store owner create complicated strings with both effects. Firstly, IDs follow the rules set by store owners, so they can easily store and understand various information included in their customized number strings. Secondly, due to the complexity of the order number, the competitors are unable to guess the business data and keep safe for security.
Easy To Customize Order Numbers
The process of creating increment ID rule is so simple from the admin backend configuration. No complex codes or commands are required as in Magento default. With Custom Order Number extension, the admin can easily change the pattern of the ID in the backend using syntax.
Here is the example for a pattern with the rule: ORD- [dd]-[mm]-[yy]-[3counter] will output ORD-110818104 which means the order is made on 11th August 2018 and is 104th order. Besides, the first order number can be configured with any ID number, then the next orders will move up numerically based on a counter step which is set by admin. Especially, the billing documents including order number, invoice number, credit memo can be totally applied with the same settings.
Flexible Adjust Order Number Patterns
With the pattern adjusted by syntax, tracking the order becomes easily and effectively. Order number pattern can be customized sequentially and chronologically by customer number or project number. Besides, the date information of orders can be included with different format such as [d], [dd], [D], [m], [mm], [y], [yy], [yyyy]. This also supports tracking order by the placement date. In addition, the order number at the end of the string can be set optionally by how many counters.
Invoice IDs Depend On Order Numbers
Custom Order Number allows the admin to create invoice numbers, shipment numbers, credit memo numbers to depend on the rules already set for order numbers. Just by replacing the prefix of the order number while keeping the rest unchanged, a new invoice number or other billing documents are created quickly and systematically. This helps the store owners can manage and track the billing system easily.
Compatible With Mageplaza PDF Invoice
The store owner can be relieved that Magento 2 Custom Order Number is properly compatible with PDF Invoice by Mageplaza. All the order numbers, invoice numbers, shipment number, and other billing documents can be displayed on PDF Invoice accurately.
Restrict Order Number Padding
Custom Order Number by Mageplaza allows the admins to customize formats of billing document numbers easily, hence the padding of number string can be limited to a certain length.
Set The Counter By Store
The counter can be set separately for each store. It means that the sequence number will rise by counter steps in each store independently.
Reset The Counter
Just by one simple click, the counter can be reset easily and turn back to the counter start.
Customize By Syntax
The structure of order numbers can be customized easily by using syntax. For example: ORD-[3AN]-[3A]-[3N]-[5counter]-[yy]-[mm]-[dd]-[storeId]-[orderId].
Customize Order Number Prefix
Order number prefix is customized in the pattern. Besides, the admins just need to change the prefix to create new other billing document numbers while keeping the rest of the structure unchanged.
Full Features List
- Enabling or disabling the module
- Enabling or disabling custom order number, invoice number, credit memo number, and shipment number
- Well compatible with Mageplaza PDF Invoice extension
Invoice/Credit Memo/Shipment Number Config
- Replace the prefix of Invoice/Credit Memo/Shipment number
- Able to create Invoice/Credit memo/Shipment number depending on the Order number
- Set the numerical system by using the syntax
- Set the counter start
- Set the counter step
- Able to set the counter step to run independently in each store
- Able to reset the counter to start point
- Able to reset the counter after a configured period
Technical SpecificationsBack to top
Magento platform compatibility
Open Source (CE): 2.2, 2.3
Commerce on prem (EE): 2.2, 2.3
24 September, 2019
Extensions, Shipping & Fulfillment, Order Management (OMS)
Quality ReportBack to top
All tests were conducted on the latest versions of Magento that existed for the compatible release lines at the moment of the extension submission. Latest versions of all other software were used, as applicable.
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 2.2 2.3
- Compatible with Commerce on prem (EE) : 2.2 2.3
- Stability: Stable Build
- Fixed error with Invoice ID when Invoiced was created automatically
- Compatible with Magento 2.3
SupportBack to top
The best place to start if you need help with a specific extension is to contact the developer. All Magento developers have both a contact email and a support email listed.Contact Vendor