Shows subcategories in the form of a grid or list, on category pages, home page or any other page. Responsive Web Design (RWD) ready.
OverviewBack to top
Apptrian Subcategories Grid/List Extension for Magento allows you to have subcategories in the form of a grid or list on category pages, home page or optionally any other page via XML layout updates or CMS markup tags. Additionally, there are more than several options for customization. The subcategories block is Responsive Web Design (RWD) ready. It will recalculate itself based on the parent.
On category pages, the extension will show children categories of the current category. On CMS pages, the extension will show top level categories or any other categories you want. This is done by using the "Category IDs" option in our extension where you type a comma-separated list of category IDs you want to show. You can also show subcategories by typing markup tags inside the CMS page content or CMS blocks.
- Two positions of subcategories block out of the box from Magento config. Any position is possible via XML layout updates or CMS markup tags on any page.
- Ability to show subcategories on multiple locations on the page.
- Two layouts available (Grid or List).
- Ability to show subcategories grid/list items as single links.
- Ability to sort subcategories by "Name", "Page Title", "Position", and "Created Date".
- Ability to choose sort direction ("Ascending" and "Descending").
- Ability to show subcategories heading or not and to type in the heading text.
- Ability to set the order of subcategory data (0=image, 1=name, 2=description) and to exclude some data if desired. Example: 0,1,2
- Ability to show category image, and which image (attribute) to use. Options are "Image", and "Thumbnail".
- If subcategory does not have an image (or thumbnail) placeholder image will be used.
- Ability to show category name, and which database field (attribute) to use. Options are "Name" and "Page Title".
- Ability to show category description, and which database field (attribute) to use. Options are "Description" and "Meta Description".
- Ability to show subcategories on any page.
- Two completely independent sets of settings one for category pages and one for the home page from Magento config with the unlimited number of settings sets via XML block arguments and/or CMS markup tags attributes.
- Ability to show specific categories on the home page and/or any other page via the comma-separated list of category IDs.
- Ability to show random categories on the home page and/or any other page via the comma-separated list of category IDs.
- Ability to hide subcategories on certain category pages via the comma-separated list of category IDs.
- Responsive Web Design (RWD) ready. It will recalculate itself based on the parent.
Q: How to add subcategories block inside CMS page content or CMS block?
A: To add subcategories block inside any CMS page content or CMS block use following code:
Attribute "encoded_options" can be used to override any option that exists in our extension. In the above example, only two options are shown. For more information, please check our User Guide.
Q: Is it possible to turn off subcategories description text?
A: Yes it is. In our extension configuration for option "Sort Order" instead of "0,1,2" type "0,1" (without double quotes). Do not forget to Refresh your Magento Cache.
Q: Why after uploading category image/thumbnail I still get placeholder image?
A: Category model in Magento has two attributes for images, the first one is "Image" and the second one is "Thumbnail". Our extension is compatible with both, but you have to select the one you want to use with our extension. Just set "Show Category Image" option in our extension configuration to the attribute you want to use ("Image" or "Thumbnail"). Be aware, since Magento version 220.127.116.11 "Thumbnail" attribute is not present by default. You have to add it yourself. If you do not know how to do this contact us and we will do it for you for a small fee.
Q: Why after uploading category image/thumbnail for a specific language (store view) I still get placeholder image?
A: You must upload an image/thumbnail to the default scope (All Store Views) First and then if you need an image/thumbnail to be different for a specific language (store view) you upload a different image for that particular language (store view).
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 1.5 1.6 1.6.1 18.104.22.168 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2 1.9.3 1.9.4
- Stability: Stable Build
* Fixed small grammar error in config
* Small method optimization
* Updated code comments
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 1.5 1.6 1.6.1 22.214.171.124 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2
- Stability: Stable Build
+ Compliance with Magento's Extension Quality Program (EQP)