Optimize your images, reduce their file size without losing image quality and speed up your site.
OverviewBack to top
Apptrian Image Optimizer will optimize your images (GIF, JPG, PNG) reduce their file size without losing image quality and speed up your site. Extension is very easy to install and use. You can optimize images by clicking a button in Magento Admin or automatically by a configurable cron job. If you are an advanced user, you will be pleased to know that extension is fully configurable. You can change optimization options even swap utilities used for optimization with the ones you like. (By default our extension is using optimization utilities recommended by Google PageSpeed Insights and GTmetrix.)
Image Optimizer is fully compatible with Google Perceptual JPEG encoder "guetzli"
However you need to:
1. Install guetzli on your server.
This is not covered by our Installation and Support services. More info on how to install guetzli can be found here.
2. Configure our extension to use guetzli.
In our extension config in "Utility" section
For "JPG Utility" type guetzli
For "JPG Utility Exact Path" type full path where you installed guetzli or if you added it to the system path then type only name of the binary it should be guetzli
For "JPG Utility Options" type:
--quality 90 %filepath% %filepath%
you can adjust quality option to your liking.
3. Test optimization by using test images we provided and manually compare file size before and after optimization. (Configuring and testing guetzli is covered by our Installation and Support services.)
Warning! Before using our extension on real images you must test optimization utilities. Please follow configuration and testing instructions.
Warning! Extension relies on third party utilities (gifsicle, jpegoptim (32-bit only), jpegtran and optipng). It is also highly dependent on a server type and configuration. There is a possibility it will not work for you. Please understand that there is no PHP code we can write that will make previously mentioned utilities work if they are not compatible with your server nor circumvent your server configuration.
Our extension will NOT change visual quality of the images.
Our extension will NOT change resolution of the images.
Our extension is only the last step in the image optimization that will help you to pass Google PageSpeed Insights and GTmetrix test, it is not the substitution for best practices regarding preparation of images for the web. Before uploading images to the web (in this case Magento) you need to prepare them. This is wide subject but the most important things are:
- Choose the right format for the image (gif, jpg, png)
- Choose the right resolution for the image
Google PageSpeed Insights test has changed the rules regarding image optimization.
Use GTmetrix to check your image optimization status.
You can see the change in the example of our site.
In Google PageSpeed Insights type https://www.apptrian.com and click "Analyze" button. You will see that for several .jpg images our site home page does not pass the "Optimize images" test. (It was passing few months ago for the same images.)
Now go to GTmetrix test type https://www.apptrian.com and click "Analyze" button. You will see that our site passes the "Optimize images" test.
Our educated guess is that Google PageSpeed Insights test now requires lowering the .jpg image quality in order to pass the test. As we already pointed out our extension is set so it does not change image quality. If anyone knows the new rules for Google PageSpeed Insights test please contact us and provide the link. Thank you for your understanding.
- Easy way to enable or disable extension.
- Batch Size is the number of images to be optimized per click or cron execution.
- Paths option is a text area field where you can type paths you want to be scanned for images.
- Convenient "Start Scan and Reindex Process" button for scanning and reindexing images.
- Convenient "Start Optimization Process" button for optimizing images.
- Convenient Progress Bar will give you info about percentage and number of optimized images.
- Convenient "Clear Index" button for resetting progress bar and ability to start index and optimization processes again.
- Easy way to enable or disable Scan and Reindex Process Cron Job.
- Option to type Cron Expression for Scan and Reindex Process.
- Easy way to enable or disable Optimization Process Cron Job.
- Option to type Cron Expression for Optimization Process.
- Use 64-bit Utilities option will allow you to run 64-bit version of utilities.
- Log Utility Output option allows you to log information about optimization process.
- Force file permissions after optimization.
- Utilities Path option allows you to swap optimization utilities.
- GIF Utility allows you to set GIF optimization utility.
- GIF Utility Exact Path allows you to specify path to your GIF utility if it is already installed on your system.
- GIF Utility Options allows you to set GIF utility options.
- JPG Utility allows you to set JPG optimization utility.
- JPG Utility Exact Path allows you to specify path to your JPG utility if it is already installed on your system.
- JPG Utility Options allows you to set JPG utility options.
- PNG Utility allows you to set PNG optimization utility.
- PNG Utility Exact Path allows you to specify path to your PNG utility if it is already installed on your system.
- PNG Utility Options allows you to set PNG utility options.
- Log in to Magento Admin
- (Optional) Disable Magento Compiler if you are using it (System > Tools > Compilation)
- Go to (System > Magento Connect > Magento Connect Manager) and install extension
- Go back to Magento Admin
- Flush Magento Cache (System > Cache Management), then log out from Magento Admin and log back in
- (Optional) Enable Magento Compiler by clicking "Run Compilation Process" button (System > Tools > Compilation)
- Set execute permissions on files inside lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer
- If you already have gifsicle, jpegtran, and optipng installed on your server use "Utility Exact Path" fields to point extension to your installed versions of these utilities.
If you do not know how to install extension or you wish a professional to do it for you, we offer additional Installation service for a small fee.
Find lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer and set execute permissions on files inside this directory. These permissions are usually 755. (If you already have gifsicle, jpegtran, and optipng installed on your server use "Utility Exact Path" fields to point extension to your installed versions of these utilities. If utilities are added to the system path then in "Utility Exact Path" fields type only the name of the utility.)
If you want to configure it differently log to your Magento Admin and go to
System > Configuration > Apptrian Extensions > Image Optimizer
All options are self explanatory and have tooltips for additional information.
After changing options make sure you refresh your Magento cache.
Please test extension before you use it!
Download testimages.zip file (inside are test images that are not optimized). Unpack testimages.zip file into your Magento root. Then in our extension configuration for the option "Paths" remove everything and type "testimages". Click "Start Scan and Reindex Process" and after it is finished click "Start Optimization Process". After it is finished download files from "testimages" directory and compare with the ones in testimages.zip file. Downloaded files should be smaller in size. If it is working delete "testimages" directory from your Magetno root and in extension configuration for the option "Paths" type "media;skin/frontend". Now you can use extension.
For sites with many images please be aware of memory_limit requirement. Our extension is tested with 1000000+ images in the index. To operate index with 1000000+ images you need to set PHP value memory_limit to 1024M or more.
For sites with up to 500000 images minimal required memory_limit value is: 512M
For sites with up to 250000 images minimal required memory_limit value is: 256M
Above values are minimal required ones, if you can set them to higher value then set them higher.
If you do not know how to install and/or test extension or you wish a professional to do it for you, we offer additional Installation service (that includes testing) for a small fee.
This extension is FREE however support is NOT
Please understand that we get more than a few emails almost every day asking for support. In most cases problems are lack of basic Magento knowledge and not reading Installation Instructions. Due to our other projects we do not have time to answer all of them. Because of this we cannot provide free support for our free extensions. However we offer very affordable support options for this extension on our site.
A Word From the Author
Thank you very much for your interest in Image Optimizer extension. You can rest assured that by choosing this extension you are getting high quality product despite the fact it is free. Same professional approach, dedication and care are invested in this product as if it is paid one. If you find this product useful and want to say "thanks" you can do that by rating it and writing short review about it on Magento Connect or Magento Marketplace. Also you can like, share and follow us on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.
If you have any questions about extension or Magento in general feel free to contact us.
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with CE: 1.5 1.6 1.6.1 126.96.36.199 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2
- Stability: Stable Build
+ Compliance with Magento's Extension Quality Program (EQP)
WARNING! If you are upgrading from any previous version after installation/upgrade you need to go to extension configuration and for option "Utilities Path" instead of "lib/apptrian/imageoptimizer" type "lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer" then save the changes and refresh your Magento cache. Also set execute permissions on files inside lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer directory.