Optimize your images, reduce their file size without losing image quality and speed up your site.
OverviewBack to top
Apptrian Image Optimizer will optimize your images (GIF, JPG, PNG), reducing their file size without losing image quality and speed up your site. The extension is very easy to install and use. You can optimize images by clicking a button in Magento Admin or automatically by a configurable cron job. If you are an advanced user you will be pleased to know that extension is fully configurable. You can change optimization options even swap utilities used for optimization with the ones you like. (By default our extension is using optimization utilities recommended by Google PageSpeed Insights and GTmetrix.)
Image Optimizer is fully compatible with Google Perceptual JPEG encoder "guetzli". However, you need to install guetzli on your server and configure our extension to use guetzli. (See user guide for more information.)
Be aware of the following:
Guetzli is a "lossy" compressor. This means you will lose some image quality. (By default our extension is using jpegtran and there is no change in image quality after optimization.)
Guetzli is much slower than jpegran.
Warning! Before using our extension on real images, you must test optimization utilities. (Please follow configuration and testing instructions.)
Warning! Extension relays on third-party utilities (gifsicle, jpegoptim (32-bit only), jpegtran and optipng). It is also highly dependent on a server type and configuration. There is a possibility it will not work for you. Please understand that there is no PHP code we can write that will make previously mentioned utilities work if they are not compatible with your server nor circumvent your server configuration.
Our extension will NOT change the visual quality of the images if you use jpegtran which is used by default. However, it will degrade image quality if you use a "lossy" compressor like guetzli. Our extension will NOT change the resolution of the images.
Our extension is only the last step in the image optimization that will help you to pass Google PageSpeed Insights and GTmetrix test, it is not the substitution for best practices regarding the preparation of images for the web. Before uploading images to the web (in this case Magento) you need to prepare them. This is a wide subject but the most important things are:
- Choose the right format for the image (gif, jpg, png) (Read the FAQs for more information)
- Choose the right resolution for the image (Read the FAQs for more information)
- An Easy way to enable or disable the extension.
- Batch Size is the number of images to be optimized per click or cron execution.
- Paths option is a text area field where you can type paths you want to be scanned for images.
- Convenient "Start Scan and Reindex Process" button for scanning and reindexing images.
- Convenient "Start Optimization Process" button for optimizing images.
- Convenient Progress Bar will give you info about the percentage and number of optimized images.
- Convenient "Clear Index" button for resetting progress bar and ability to start index and optimization processes again.
- An Easy way to enable or disable the Scan and Reindex Process Cron Job.
- Option to type Cron Expression for the Scan and Reindex Process.
- An Easy way to enable or disable the Optimization Process Cron Job.
- Option to type Cron Expression for the Optimization Process.
- Use 64-bit Utilities option will allow you to run 64-bit version of utilities.
- Log Utility Output option allows you to log information about the optimization process.
- Force file permissions after optimization.
- Utilities Path option allows you to swap optimization utilities.
- GIF Utility allows you to set GIF optimization utility.
- GIF Utility Exact Path allows you to specify the path to your GIF utility if it is already installed on your system.
- GIF Utility Options allows you to set GIF utility options.
- JPG Utility allows you to set JPG optimization utility.
- JPG Utility Exact Path allows you to specify the path to your JPG utility if it is already installed on your system.
- JPG Utility Options allows you to set JPG utility options.
- PNG Utility allows you to set PNG optimization utility.
- PNG Utility Exact Path allows you to specify the path to your PNG utility if it is already installed on your system.
- PNG Utility Options allows you to set PNG utility options.
This extension is FREE, however support is NOT. Please understand that we get more than a few emails almost every day asking for support. In most cases, problems are lack of basic Magento knowledge and not reading Installation Instructions. Due to our other projects, we do not have time to answer all of them. Because of this, we cannot provide free support for our free extensions. However, we offer very affordable support options.
Q: After upgrading from an older version of Image Optimizer to v2.1.0 (or newer) my old index data is gone and Progress Bar is reset?
A: Image Optimizer v2.1.0 and newer save index data to a file instead of a database. If you are upgrading from any previous version of Image Optimizer prior to v2.1.0 you will lose old index data. Previously optimized images will still be optimized but you will need to re-index and re-optimize all images again. Optimizing images twice or multiple times will not change the quality of images. Image optimization utilities sense if images are optimized and just re-save images without changing them.
Q: After upgrading from an older version of Image Optimizer to 2.2.0 and newer, optimization does not work anymore.
A: If you are upgrading from any previous version of Image Optimizer prior to v2.2.0 after installation/upgrade you need to go to extension configuration and for option "Utilities Path" instead of "lib/apptrian/imageoptimizer" type "lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer" then save the changes and refresh your Magento cache. Also set execute permissions on files inside lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer directory.
Q: Image Optimizer does not work for me, is there anything I can do?
A: Maybe. First, follow Testing Instructions. The second is to check permissions on files inside lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer. The third is to try 64-bit Utilities option. The fourth use "Utility Exact Path" options but before you do gifsicle, jpegtran, and optipng must be installed on your server (Contact your server support and ask them to install these for you and to send you the full path where these are installed. Some hosting companies will do this other will not). If gifsicle, jpegtran, and optipng are added to system path you can just type the name of the binary, not a full path. (Some servers usually have jpegtran installed. The minimal version required for Image Optimizer to work is v8d but the latest version is preferable.)
Q: Why after clicking "Start Optimization Process" button, none of the images are optimized?
A: Utility binaries located in lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer must be executable which means you have to set right permissions on files inside this directory.
Q: After clicking "Start Optimization Process" button, the error message appears "Optimization failed because PHP exec() function is disabled."?
A: This means your server PHP is configured in such a way that PHP exec() function is disabled. Contact your hosting company and ask them to allow exec() function. This usually happens on shared hosting accounts and hosting companies keep this function disabled until you ask them to enable it. This function is needed in order for image optimization utilities to be executed. If you cannot execute optimization utilities you cannot optimize images.
Q: Why Google PageSpeed Insights reports my images are not optimized despite I optimized them properly and can see the difference in file size (in bytes)?
A: Our extension only optimizes images on your site, it will not change format nor resolution of your images. This brings us to the best practices regarding images and web. You must prepare your images from the start if you want to pass the Google PageSpeed Insights test. This means choosing the right format and resolution for every image.
- GIF is used for images that have very few colors (small web design elements). It is also used for simple animations if it is animated GIF (banners).
- JPG is used for images with many colors (photos, product images, and some other design elements).
- PNG is used for images where accurate transparency is needed (usually used for design elements, small element backgrounds/css sprites).
Resolution is best explained via an example. Let's say you have an image on your site that is 2000x2000px. However, on your page, it is resized via CSS to 1000x1000px. If you check your page containing this image via Google PageSpeed Insights it will tell you something like this:
Compressing and resizing http://www.example.com/media/wysiwyg/image.jpg could save 110.1KiB (79% reduction).
You need to download image.jpg then resize it to 1000x1000px with the image editing program of your choice and upload back to the original location on the server. Then use our extension to optimize it. Only if you did everything correctly you will pass Google PageSpeed Insights test.
Q: Progress bar is stuck?
A: This happens when in one batch of images there are many very large ones and due to memory and time limits for script execution optimization is aborted. To overcome this, lower the "Batch Size" option to 10. In some cases of very large images and certain server configurations, you will need to set "Batch Size" to 1. After you optimize these large images you can set "Batch Size" back to the default value of 50.
Q: Why are not all images optimized?
A: Only images that are on your server can be optimized. Also sometimes Google PageSpeed Insights will report .gif images with transparency not optimized despite the fact they are. For images that have transparency use .png files. There is also an edge case when you use one format while you would get a much smaller file using another. (Read one of the above FAQ for more info on how to choose appropriate image format.)
A Word From the Author
Thank you very much for your interest in Image Optimizer extension. You can rest assured that by choosing this extension you are getting high-quality product despite the fact it is free. The same professional approach, dedication, and care are invested in this product as if it is paid one. If you find this product useful and want to say "thanks" you can do that by rating it and writing a short review about it on Magento Marketplace. Also, you can like, share and follow us on Facebook, Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter.
If you have any questions about extension or Magento in general feel free to contact us.
Release NotesBack to top
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 1.5 1.6 1.6.1 184.108.40.206 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2 1.9.3 1.9.4
- Stability: Stable Build
* Fixed RegEx for Exact Path validator
* Fixed small grammar error in config
* Updated code comments
- Compatible with Open Source (CE) : 1.5 1.6 1.6.1 220.127.116.11 1.7 1.8 1.8.1 1.9 1.9.1 1.9.2
- Stability: Stable Build
+ Compliance with Magento's Extension Quality Program (EQP)
WARNING! If you are upgrading from any previous version after installation/upgrade you need to go to extension configuration and for option "Utilities Path" instead of "lib/apptrian/imageoptimizer" type "lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer" then save the changes and refresh your Magento cache. Also set execute permissions on files inside lib/Apptrian/ImageOptimizer directory.